Sunday, February 12, 2012

Easy DIY Paper Flower Valentine's Necklace? Yes, Please!

I'm I big fan of paper flower making {here's a number of books that are great resources!}. I've been dabbling in it for the last fifteen years or so (I know you're impressed, but remember the Chinese have apparently been doing it for two thousand years, and the Mexicans have been making them with gusto for centuries....) For Valentine's this year I thought I'd get crafty and make myself a snazzy paper flower pendent. If you're interested in creating something similar, here's my how to:
The finished product!
What you'll need: 
sturdy and beautiful magazine pages 
or pages of old books
needle
thread
scissors
a metal necklace chain or embroidery floss/string




1. Decide the size of your flower, and cut four large petals {as with all things in nature, variation in flowers is the norm, so there's no need to be obsessively precise}. 
2. Cut three smaller petals 
3. Over lay large petals so they touch in center, sew securely together {don't worry about stitches being perfect. But since you are sewing on paper, try not to put the stitches too close so as not to rip the paper}. 


4. Roll the smaller petals into loose cones, and sew each, one at a time, into center of flower. 


5. Lay out necklace chain, or string/ embroidery floss you have cut to size, and place flower where you would like it to lay. 


6. Sew flower to necklace. 
7. Sew bead to center for finishing touch. 
8. Go have dinner with your sweet heart! 


* Marcie

1 comment: